When I was getting ready for CHA and thinking about samples, I knew I wanted to create an album (it ended up being two) that showed my dies in their basic state, cut and assembled but without any dressing up. I thought it would be helpful for some to see exactly what the basic form of the shape was. I have shared images of those pages already but I haven’t shared the album covers. Of course, just because the contents were basic, it didn’t mean the covers had to be! 😉
I created this album to feature all the flower dies. I began with a plain (maybe vintage) book. I cut away the inside pages leaving only the book cover.
I brushed on streaks of Ranger Dina Wakley White Gesso randomly over the cover. This helped blank out any imprint on the cover and created a neutral base that I could add color too. I brushed on streaks of Peeled Paint and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Paint over the gesso once it was dry.
I applied Ranger Texture Paste over the paint in varying thicknesses. I love that in places where the paste is thin you can see the color below showing through. I wanted to add an embossed design to the texture paste so I misted my Rose Tablecloth embossing folder with water and then pressed the design into the paste. The water helps the pasted to not stick to the folder which would distort the design in the paste. If you do this, be sure to wash your embossing folder right away, you do not want any texture paste to dry on it. Water and a light scrubbing with a stamp scrubber or dish brush will do the trick.
After the texture paste was dry, I used an ink blending tool to apply Distress Inks and shades of pinks and greens to the embossed design.
The main focus of the cover is the cluster of flowers. I die cut the flowers and leaves from Ranger’s watercolor cardstock using my Shabby Posies and Pom Pom Posies dies. I colored the die cuts with Distress Spray Stains, Inks, and Crayons. I think they turned out amazing!
I will sharing a tutorial next week featuring how I colored the flowers. Tomorrow I will be sharing a tutorial showing how to created the beaded centers.
Several of my projects featured vintage beaded pearl sprays that I purchased at the French General. I have hoarded them for two years and am glad I finally realized that I would enjoy them more on projects than hidden away in a drawer. I also used long vintage hat pins on my projects. I was lucky to find a whole lot of them on Etsy.
As you have seen in other projects, nearly every project from the show included a vintage paint brush. I thought it was a fun recurring embellishment to use that spoke of artfulness in life. I also included a small piece of baker’s twine that came on a gift tag from a friend and a small piece of vintage tatted lace.
To round out the embellishments, I added vintage style ephemera from Jillibean Soup and a die cut heart embossed with my Horsehair embossing folder. This book cover is certainly one of my favorites from the show. I love how it includes color and texture and little bits of things that dear to me.
Don’t forget, tomorrow I will be sharing how to create the beaded flower centers and then on Tuesday of next week, how to create the watercolor paper flowers. I hope you will check back for both!
PS. The ship date for all of my products is April. They will be available at stores worldwide (independents and online) and online at www.spellbinderspaperarts.com!