Oh my goodness! I sure didn’t imagine that it would take me so long to get back to blogging after my trip to California for CHA. I always end up having a couple of days of catch up around the house, catch up on email, catch up on stuff for my job, and some bouts of total laziness. This time, I didn’t get any photos of projects edited and ready to blog before leaving so I had to add in photo editing to the long list of to-dos before I could blog. Anywho… I am caught up and finally back to blogging!
The first project I am going to share is the new art journal I alluded to in the last Tuesday Tutorial. The journal was headed to the show as a sample so I couldn’t share it. I am so happy to finally share it because I absolutely love the way it turned out. I can’t wait to fill it full of art tags and pages!
The cover of the book is a vintage book I have had in my collection for a long time. It was an instructional book from the turn of the century and is all about how to raise your daughters to be good wives and mothers. It has great text and images! The inspiration for this project came late at night and something I had to make right then. I couldn’t go shopping so I turned to my collection of vintage books. I truly hated tearing it apart, but since it was the right size and had a great title on the side, I knew I had to do it. I kind of felt like the title was appropriate too for an art journal full of thoughts and feelings by this girl.
After removing the book pages inside, I covered the inside of the spine with Sticky Back Canvas. I attached a Tim Holtz Ring Binder mechanism to the inside of the spine. The mechanism is attached with long brads that flatten on the outside spine of the book. To cover the prongs on the outside of the book, I added a strip of tissue tape over the two prongs. The strips wrap all the way around the front and back covers. I added strips of grungepaper that were colored with Walnut Stain and Black Soot Distress Stains. After the stains were dry I added machine stitching to the strips so that they would resemble leather straps.
The upper strap was trimmed to a point, ending along the edge of the book cover.
The lower strap included a new Tim Holtz Idea-ology Buckle. I also added a new Stencil Mark by Tim Holtz over the strap. I chose the number 3 for my three children.
Before adding the tissue and straps, I spread white gesso over the cover randomly to create a blank canvas that would help my embellishments stand out.
After the gesso was dry, I used ink blending tools to apply some subtle color to the gesso. I flicked water drops onto the ink so that it would react and create water spots. The spots create a painterly and work in progress feel.
The word “Artist” was die cut from manila cardstock. I applied a Therm O Web’s iCraft sheet to the back of the cardstock before die cutting it. This made the piece like one large sticker. I colored the piece with Distress Inks and applied rub-ons before adhering it to the cover of the book.
I also embellished the cover with a stamping with Jet Black Archival Ink and rub-ons.
The new rub-ons by Tim Holtz are so easy to apply and stuck well on the gesso’d cover!
My favorite touch on the cover is the compass and paint brush. I stamped a compass design (from Stampers Anonymous Classic Favorites Collection 1) on the cover. I added a Ring Fastener to the center of a Compass Coin. I adhered the assembled piece to cover over the stamped compass design.
I placed vintage paint brush in the loop of the Ring Fastener. To make the paint brush lay flat, I used a craft knife to flatten the back of the brush handle. Once it was trimmed and sanded, I used strong liquid glue to secure it in place.
On the inside, I created blank pages from white and manila cardstock. I also used tags by Ranger Ink in assorted colors and sizes for pages. The first page is a jumbo manila tag that I folded in half. I used the Bracket On the Edge Die to give the top and bottom edges a decorative edge. I colored the tag with Distress Inks and added a die cut outline of the word “Vision”. I will be adding some journaling to the inside of this tag about my vision and theme for this book.
I used the large jumbo sized tags combined with different On the Edge dies to create several blank pages for the book.
I created several pages that featured the new Torn Notebook On the Edge Die. I think this might be my absolute favorite On the Edge die.
I also used the torn edge design on several pages too. Seriously, this die is a “must have”.
This cover was so easy to create. I love that it is so unique, just like the pages that will fill it! I can’t wait to fill it up and share those pages with you all in the process!