If you haven’t checked it out already, Tim Holtz has a fun challenge on his blog featuring the Tattered Florals die from his collection with Sizzix. (You can find the challenge here: http://timholtz.com/tattered-floral-challenge/.)
I am so excited about this challenge because the Tattered Florals die is one of my all time favorite Tim Holtz dies. I believe it was the first die I ever bought and have used it extensively in my classes and projects. I couldn’t wait to play along with the challenge and create something with the die too!
And…. I am thrilled to tell you that I have a Tattered Florals die to give away to one of my blog readers courtesy of Tim! (See the details below after the last photo.)
For my project, I wanted to create some vintage style millinery flowers to embellish a vintage hat that I have. The hat is a child’s hat that both of my daughters have worn in portraits. It now sits as a decoration in my foyer with some other vintage collections. The setting doesn’t have much color, so I thought colorful flowers would not only dress up the hat, but also make a nice splash of color.
Begin by die cutting several flowers from crinoline. (Read my blog post about crinoline for help in understanding what it is and isn’t and why I love using it: https://www.tammytutterow.com/2012/01/crinoline-help-and-facts/)
I used the same technique for all the flowers. For the tutorial, I am showing the blue-ish green flowers that are next to the large pink flower in the center. This is the medium-sized round flower on the die.
Mist the die cut flowers with Distress Stain place in a mister bottle. Leave some areas of white if you can to help create some of the color variation after blending. (Shown here, Broken China Distress Stain.)
Squeeze the fabric flowers in a dry cloth to remove excess stain.
Dry the flowers with a heat tool.
Apply a light-colored Distress Ink to the center of the flowers using an ink blending tool. (Shown here, Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink.)
Apply Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the outer edges of the flowers using an ink blending tool.
Mist water onto your hand and flick it onto the flowers. The water will cause the ink colors to blend and will create some spotting, which will add to the vintage look.
Squeeze the flowers in a dry cloth to remove excess water.
Dry the flowers with a heat tool.
Stack several layers of flowers together. Punch a hole through the center of the stack. (For this flower, I stacked three.)
Place a bunch of wired flower stamens through the hole. To give the stamens a more vintage look, you can brush them lightly with Vintage Photo Distress Ink using an ink blending tool. (You can find stamens in most craft stores, and online on eBay and Etsy. A search for “millinery flower stamen” will usually do the trick.)
Bunch the petals up around the stamen.
Begin wrapping the flower on the cone-like base of the flower. Tape on this part will help the petals keep their upward shape.
Continue wrapping the tape around the stem. If the stem of the stamen is short, a piece of floral stem wire can be added depending on how long of a stem you need.
After wrapping, fluff the petals of the flower. It is now ready to use.
You may find it helpful to wrap some thin paddle wire around the base of the flower before wrapping it with tape.
The small purple and blue flowers were both created with two layers of the smallest flower from the die. The blue was colored with Broken China Distress Stain and Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I cut away the small stamen pieces and left just the single larger center. The purple flowers were created with Squeezed Lemonade Distress Stain and Dusty Concord and Vintage Photo Distress Inks. I cut away the large stamen center so that only the small pieces remained.
The larger blue flower is the flower from the step out photos above. The yellow-ish petaled flower was created with two layers of the long petaled flower from the die. It was colored with Squeezed Lemonade and Scattered Straw Distress Stains and Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
The large flower was created with six layers of flowers. Each was misted with Picked Raspberry and Antique Linen Distress Stains leaving some white areas. After drying, the petals were lightly inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. As shown above, they were then flicked with water and dried again
After I assembled the flower, I misted Picket Fence Distress Stain onto my craft sheet and brushed just the tips of the flower in the stain. The stain added a nice highlight to the tips of the petals that touched the stain.
The dark orange flower was created from three layers of the medium-sized round flower. It was colored with Spiced Marmalade Distress Stain and Squeezed Lemonade and Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The leaves were die cut with the Tattered Leaves die and were colored with Peeled Paint and Bundled Sage Distress Stains and Peeled Paint and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.
After assembling the flowers into a spray, I added a bow made from Crinkle Ribbon that was dyed with Broken China and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Stains.
The final touch was a vintage hat pin stick into the cluster next to the bow.
And here is my sweet daughter Emma modeling the hat for me. Seriously, this photo melts my heart. I love those little smile lines of hers. <3
If you have the Tattered Florals die, I hope you will create a little art with it and share it on Tim’s blog. He has some amazing prize packs available!
If you don’t have the die, then leave a comment here on my blog. I have one die (courtesy of Tim himself!) to give away to one of my readers. To enter, simply leave a comment on this post by midnight March 22nd CST. If we get enough comments to push this post into the number 1 spot on my Top 10 Tutorials list (on the right side bar –>) I will add in some Ranger and Sizzix goodies to the prize too!
Good luck to all who enter!