Hello there! I am back today with another CHA project to share with you! Today I have a Tim Holtz Burlap Panel project. I love making home decor projects and I love using Burlap Panels. I think they are such a versatile surface that is easy to use as is or to alter with paints and inks.
For this project, I decided to join to join two Burlap Panels together with two Hinges. I wanted to build collages on each that would be full of texture, dimension, and vintage goodness.
I began by painting each panel with Dina Wakley Media White Gesso. When the gesso was dry, I misted the panels with Scattered Straw, Broken China, and Peeled Paint Distress Spray Stains. I applied Texture Paste to the panels using the Tim Holtz Harlequin Layering Stencil.
I was impatient and applied it before the Distress Spray Stain was completely dry. When the Texture Paste was dry I discovered that it had soaked up the stain and pulled it into the Harlequin design. It make it look as though I had applied the color just to the paste. Accidental Magic.
I added more color to the gesso by using an ink blending tool to apply Broken China Distress Ink to the front and sides of the panel and Gathered Twigs to the edges of the panel.
After I was happy with the color, I joined the two panels together with Hinges. A Craft Pick is strong enough to pierce holes for the brads that come with the Hinges. I applied a strong quick dry glue (I use Beacon 3 in 1) to the prongs of the brad and the back of the hinge. I let the canvas sit for a while before handling them again to let the adhesive set up.
On the left canvas I wanted to create a focus around the fun vintage photo from the Emporium Ephemera set.
To give the photo a bit of age, I brushed the edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink using an ink blending tool. I added a few curls and tears to the edges. I accidentally got an inky finger on the image. I decided to love it since it added some age and wear. I used a Distress Marker Spritzer to add a few random specks of ink with a Pumice Stone Distress Marker.
I matted the photo on a silver piece of new Tim Holtz Deco Sheets. I dabbed Mushroom Alcohol Ink onto the silver Deco Sheet to mute it and add some age. Under the Deco Sheet mat I added a torn scrap of Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements Symphony fabric. I brushed the fabric with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink to give it some age.
The photo and mat are wrapped with Paper String and a Word Band.
Next to the Word Band I added a small bouquet of flowers die cut from manila cardstock using the Tattered Floral Garland die. Here is a trade show secret… sometimes to save time, I steal elements from old samples. In this case I took the flowers from the Spooky Window project from last year and repurposed them into a bouquet for this project. I finished off the bouquet with a small piece of Crinkle Ribbon that I edge dyed.
Below the photo I added a Small Talk sticker sentiment adhered to piece of vellum and then adhered to a torn scrap of a Pocket Card.
Below the sentiment is an alcohol inked (Mushroom) Mini Numeral. I adhered the Mini Numeral with Adhesive Foam Tape so that it is off the surface slightly.
Under the photo there are two layers of Emporium Ephemera. I adhered them to mat board to give them structure and then adhered them to the panel with Adhesive Foam Tape. A scrap of an Industrious Border and a mixture of Sprocket Gears and Mini Gears tucked in between the layers add more texture.
The right panel has a quilty heart as a the focus.
To create the heart, I adhered piece of Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements Dictionary fabric to a piece of cotton batting using a Collage Glue Stick. I die cut a heart from the Love Struck die (my favorite Tim Holtz heart). I adhered the heart to a frayed scrap of Eclectic Elements Symphony fabric that I inked with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink to add age. I sewed a square pattern over the heart and onto the fabric.
I inked the edges of a Pocket Card and adhered it to an inked piece of silver Deco Sheet. I added a scrap of mat board to the back of the Deco Sheet to give it solid structure. I assembled fabric piece to the top.
I embellished the heart and fabric piece with Mini Fasteners, a Typed Token, and Adornments Arrow.
Below the heart layer is a strip of corrugated from the new Tim Holtz Textured Surfaces set. The corrugated paper was lightly painted with Picket Fence Distress Paint and inked with Gathered Twigs. Like the left panel, there are Mini Gears and Sprocket Gears tucked in between layers. The gears were all inked with Mushroom Alcohol Ink to add age.
Below the corrugated strip is the base layer on the panel. It is a piece of Correspondence pattern paper. I inked the paper and lightly adhered it to a piece of mat board that was also inked. I let the edges peel up so that you could see the layers.
A Mushroom Alcohol Inked Industrious Border was with a Tiny Attacher to the base layer. I adhered the assembled piece to the Burlap Panel with Adhesive Foam Tape.
I feel all swoony inside over all the layers in this project! Layers and dimension are what I love most about making decor pieces. You have no limits on what you can add! The more layers and textures the richer and more interesting the piece gets!