Happy Monday! I am checking in today to share a card I created for CHA featuring new Tim Holtz dies for Sizzix! I love this Layered Bee die so much! It comes is a steel rule die that comes with a coordinating embossing folder. After die cutting the bee from your material you can place it in the folder to create textured detail. How cool is that?
To create the card I covered the front of a blank A2 cardstock card with a piece of pattern paper from the new Tim Holtz Wallflower collection. I tore a second piece of pattern paper (text) from the collection so that it was slightly smaller than the first. I layered it on top of the first and machine stitched the two to the front of the card. I die cut a honeycomb from manila cardstock using the new Tim Holtz Honeycomb Frameworks die. I used an ink blending foam to apply Vintage Photo and Scattered Straw Distress Ink to the die cut. I adhered the die cut on top of the text pattern paper.
I inked the edges of all pieces with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
I tore a piece of vellum the same size as the text pattern paper. I tore about 1/3 off of the right side and folded the vellum back on itself about 1/4″. I adhered that over the layers of paper and the honeycomb. I added two Mini Fasteners to the top and bottom left corners. Next to the vellum in the lower right I added a sentiment using Tim Holtz’s new Life Quotes Remnant Rubs.
On top of the vellum I added a piece of manila cardstock that I embossed using the new Woodgrain Textured Fade. I die cut it into a circle using the largest circle in the Sized Circles set. I used an ink blending tool to apply Vintage Photo and Forest Moss Distress Inks to the embossed piece. I wrapped the circle with a piece of Crinkle ribbon died to match. I tied the ribbon in a simple knot on the left side, added a Trinket Pin and adhered the assembled piece to the front of the card.
Finally, to top of the design, I added a Layered Bee. I die cut two bees and embossed both. I cut the wing section and mid body from one of the bees. I inked both bees with Scattered Straw and Wild Honey Distress Inks. I dried the inks with a heat tool. I applied Black Soot Distress Ink to the two bees. I again dried the ink with a heat tool. Next, I applied Black Soot Distress Ink directly from the ink pad by rubbing the pad lightly over the raised areas of the bee’s body. I applied clear embossing ink the wet ink. After tapping off the excess, I used a heat tool (a Milwaukee) to melt the embossing powder. I adhered the partial bee to the back of the whole bee, using adhesive only in the body section so that the wings would be free. I adhered the assembled bee to the the front of the card over the ribbon.
Whew! That sounds like a lot of work! It was totally worth it, I think the card turned out really cool and so full of layers and textures. I think the design would be really cool on a small artist canvas, so I may make it again to hang up in my studio.