Today I have another fun little decor project for you from my display at CHA. If you haven’t been able to tell yet, I had a theme with vintage art supplies mixed into samples and nearly everything had fabric flowers on it. I couldn’t stop putting flowers on things! Today’s project is no exception…
I found this vintage paintbrush on a junking trip. Even though I suppose it isn’t really an art supply, it is probably a hardware brush, I knew I needed it for my display. I loved the color of it and that it was chippy and worn. I grabbed it knowing I wanted to make some type of art on it, but I wasn’t sure what.
As I was making samples, I decided to embellish it with a cluster of die cut flowers and leaves. I mean, why not? There are no rules in art after all!
I added a Tim Holtz Remnant Rub to the handle. I think the sentiment was perfect, always imagine the possibility in each thing. Most would see an old used paintbrush, but to me, it was a canvas for art.
I added flowers and leaves die cut from crinoline. I colored all the pieces with Distress Spray Stains. The white tips on the flower edges is Picket Fence Distress Paint. I love the highlight it adds to the tip of the petals.
On this piece, I used my Pom Pom Posies die for the small blue flowers and the leaves. The two smaller yellow flowers use two different shapes on the Floweret Posies die. The two large flowers are die cut using the Pinked Posies die.
The wonderful ombre’ silk ribbon is a piece of vintage ribbon that I have hoarded for a while now. I got it from Tinsel Trading Company when they had a trunk show at the French General. Visiting the French General was a magical thing for me, getting to have a Tinsel Trading experience there was beyond amazing. This bit of exquisite vintage ribbon will always remind me of that night. Rather than keeping it rolled up and tucked away, it is now a piece of art in my studio that I can see and enjoy and remember with. That is so much better than being afraid to use it and keeping it put away!
On the large yellow flower I decided to experiment a bit by splattering a bit of brown Distress Spray Stain onto the flower. I like the effect. It just seems like I could maybe see a flower like that in nature.
I promise, I will have new flower tutorials soon once my dies start shipping. Until then, you can find older tutorials I have showing the technique I use with crinoline and Distress products here: Crinoline Flower Gallery.
I have also been experimenting with other fabrics to work with that are a bit easier to find than crinoline. I will have a whole post on surfaces for flowers coming once the dies ship. I have so much I want to share and teach you, if only there were more hours in the day!
PS. The ship date for all of my products is April. They will be available at stores worldwide (independents and online) and online at www.spellbinderspaperarts.com!