Today I am sharing another project I created for CHA. This project featured new products by Tim Holtz. I love this little project. I had it in my mind for a long time. The Cabinet Cards from the last release were just a bit larger than I wanted to use. When I saw that there were new smaller cabinet cards I knew it was finally time to get this project out of my head and onto my work table!
I wanted to create a card using the Tim Holtz Mini Silhouettes representing each of my children. I wanted the cards to display together as one so I hinged them together. I added Picket Fence Distress Paint to the hinges before adhering them to the backs of the cabinet cards. I also lightly sanded each card to distress it and added Vintage Photo Distress Ink the edges for some age.
Each card has the same elements: a banner, flowers, gears, a silhouette, ribbon, and a star.
I cut a piece of Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements fabric to fit inside each card. I placed a piece of Phoomph (click on the link and check it out, it is super cool stuff) on the back of each piece of fabric. I slid the fabric inside the card and traced the shape of the frame onto the fabric. I removed the fabric. I machine stitched just inside the traced line of the front of each piece. I trimmed the excess Phoomph on the back side close to the stitching. I slid the pieces back inside the cards. By trimming the excess Phoomph, it allowed the fabric to look puffy in just the opening and the frame around the opening to still lay flat.
I adhered black Phoomph to the back of black wool felt. I die cut two female heads and one male head from phoomphed felt using the Tim Holtz Mini Silhouette dies. I peeled the adhesive backing off of the phoomphed pieces and used them like stickers, placing each one in the center of a cabinet card. I placed them in birth order of my three kids- girl, boy, girl.
I used assorted colors of Distress Ink Markers to add color to the designs on the cabinet cards. I used my finger to smudge the ink so that it would look a little more vintage and worn.
I added a Tim Holtz Mirrored Star to each of the cabinet cards. I placed them high to low on each card, indicating morning, evening, and night. Strangely, my kids were born in that order, the first in the morning, the second in the evening, and the last at night.
Each card has a banner die cut from manila cardstock using the new Tim Holtz Curvy Banner die. I painted the banners with Picket Fence Distress Paint. The paint gave the manila a chalky white finish. I brushed the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink using an ink blending tool to add age. I stamped “son” or “daughter” on each banner using Hero Arts Printers Type stamps and Jet Black Archival Ink. I cured and rippled the banner before adhering them to each card.
I die cut small flowers from manila cardstock using the Tim Holtz Flower Garland die. I die cut leaves from the Flower Garland and Spring Greenery dies. I inked the flowers and leaves with different colors of Distress Ink using an ink blending tool. I made a small knot in the end of thin paper wrapped floral wire. I made a hole in the center of each flower and place the wire through it. I find working with wire stemmed flowers a little easier. Even though the stem doesn’t show, it gave me something to add adhesive to and to insert down into groupings. I arranged the flowers and leaves around the banners.
I tucked Mini Gears around the banners. I stacked some to add layers and added Mini Fasteners to the centers of the ones with an open center. I used gears to add a bit of a masculine touch to offset the flowers and ribbon.
I added a small tuft of dyed Crinkle Ribbon to the first and last cards. It kind of marks the beginning and the ending. I also thought that my son would not love ribbon on “his” card.
I really just love this way this project turned out. It is pretty and sweet and tells a little story. I think that is what I love most about it.