Happy Thursday! I have a pretty project to share with you today! This is another project from CHA that was featured in Tim Holtz’s Idea-ology booth. This canvas has tons of layers to it, which is one of my favorite things about making decor pieces, lots and lots of dimension!
To create this canvas, begin with a Tim Holtz 6×8 Burlap Panel. You can brush the burlap with Distress Inks to give it a hit of color. I applied Broken China Distress Ink with an ink blending to the edges of the panel. Paint four Corners with Picket Fence Distress Paint. After the paint has dried, wipe it with a dry cloth to knock some of the paint off of the raised areas.
The first layer on the canvas is a layer of cotton batting cut to fit on the front of the panel. On top of the batting is a piece of Wildflower pattern paper torn to fit on the batting. I love the vivid colors in the floral pattern on the paper. I loved the paper so much, I really hated covering it up! I love the punch of color it adds to the finished project.
The two layers are machine stitched together and then adhered to the front of the panel.
On top of the paper and batting is a 4×6 Cabinet Card. The cabinet card was lightly sanded to add aging. It was then inked with Broken China and Vintage Photo Distress Inks. A piece of batting and text print fabric from the Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements fabric. I added machine stitching around the opening of the cabinet card and some light inking to the fabric.
To accent the text on the Word Band, add a bit of Picket Fence Distress Paint to the Word Band. Allow the paint to set for a few minutes before wiping it away leaving the paint in the letters. Use Tim Holtz Jute to tie the Word Band around the cabinet card. Adhere the cabinet card to the top of the pattern paper and batting piece using adhesive foam squares.
All around the opening of the cabinet card are clusters and layers of felt dic cut leaves, enameled Foliage pieces, mini gears, sprocket gears, and mini fasteners.
At the center of the cabinet card under the word band is a clock face from the new Tim Holtz Expedition Ephemera packs. I added a piece of scrap chip board slightly smaller than the clock face to give it some strength. On top of the clock face I added a butterfly die cut from the Thrift Shop Ephemera pack. Added color to the butterfly using Distress Inks and Distress Markers. I used ink that was already in my ink blending tool.
I really love how this piece turned out. It is so soft and feminine despite all the gears. I love the mix of fabrics with papers and metals. It is girlie and tough at the same time!