Hello again! Can you believe it, I have another card to share today! I claim to not be a card maker, but I sure seem to have lots of cards to share from CHA! Today’s card has me daydreaming of spring. As I type this, it is sleeting and the wind is howling. I definitely need some spring! This card like the others features new dies from the Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations collection.
The base of this card is a white cardstock card. I used an ink blending tool to apply Faded Jeans Distress Ink to the card front using an ink blending tool. I misted water onto my hand and flicked it onto the ink to create water spots. After drying the card I applied Gathered Twigs Distress Ink to the edges using an ink blending tool.
I cut a piece of manila cardstock to 4″ x 6″. I embossed the cardstock with the new Mesh Texture Fade (shipping in March). I misted it with Squeezed Lemonade, Scattered Straw, and Wild Honey Distress Spray Stains. I also added some Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist. While the paper was damp, I tore the piece down letting the paper tear along the embossed edges. I dried the paper with a heat tool. I hated it!
It was way too yellow… so I turned the piece over and used the back. The back had color and some shimmer that had bled through. It also had some random bits of other color from my craft sheet. I liked the imperfectness of it and the softer coloring. I inked the torn edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink using an ink blending tool.
Tip: When I teach I often tell students to remember to check the backs of your die cuts. Sometimes the accidental coloring on the backsides are so amazing! You really may find that back is the side to use!
I died a piece of Crinkle ribbon with the same colors. I adhered a strip of ribbon across the lower part of the cardstock. I tucked it behind the back slightly and stapled it in place. I adhered the embossed piece to the front of the card.
I added a strip of burlap from the new Textured Surfaces pack (I peeled it off of the backing without the adhesive) and an inked, wrinkled, and crinkled piece of Emporium Ephemera. I added both to the card front over the top of the ribbon.
To create a ombre bow, I created a white bow from Crinkle Ribbon. (I used my fluffy bow tool.) I misted the white bow with water and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Spray Stain. I misted Scattered Straw Distress Spray Stain on my craft sheet. I dipped the tip of the bow loops in the darker yellow stain on the craft sheet. The stain wicked up the ribbon moving toward the center. After drying the bow it had an ombre-like coloring. I adhered the bow to the left side of the card.
Next I die cut two Watering Cans (shipping in March) from manila cardstock. I painted the front of both watering cans with Black Soot Distress Paint. When the paint was dry, I adhered the two watering cans together along the pipe, sides, handle, and bottoms. I left the top open so I could add flower stems inside.
Next I applied Brushed Pewter Distress Paint to the front of the assembled watering can. I sprinkled clear embossing powder into the wet paint. I used a heat tool to dry the paint and melt the embossing powder. The resulting effect is a bubbly and kind of rough-looking finish in the paint. I sanded the surface randomly to add more texture and to expose some of the black paint.
I applied Black Soot Distress Ink to band of the watering can. I sanded over the inked piece to give it a worn look. After adhering it to the watering can, I added a few Mini Fasteners.
I die cut a sentiment from manila cardstock using the Handwritten Love die (shipping NOW). I die cut a small heart using the Heartfelt die (shipping NOW). I colored the heart with Spun Sugar Distress Ink and adhered it to the band on the watering can. I inked the word with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink. I sprinkled clear embossing powder on the wet ink. After melting the embossing powder I ran the die cut through my Xyron and adhered it to the front of the card.
I filled the watering can with small manila flowers and leaves that I die cut with the Tattered Flower Garland die. After die cutting, I misted the die cut flowers with Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick Distress Spray Stain. I misted the leaves with Mowed Lawn Distress Spray Stain. After drying the flowers and leaves I inked the edges of each one with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.
I curled the ends of paddle wire to create flower stems. I wrinkled all the flowers and stacked them in threes. I fed each stack on a wire stem. After bundling them together I placed them in the top of the watering can.
I attached the finished watering can to the front of the card with adhesive foam tape.
And that is that! A happy sunshine filled card that is perfect for spring and sunny days!